Board Meeting Minutes July 2013

Tapestry Folkdance Center Board Meeting
July 15, 2013

Meeting starts at 7:05 p.m.

Present

Beermann, Claudia Grabel (Secretary)
Beltrand, Barbara (Treasurer)
Forsberg, Roger (1st half hour only)
Kirchner, David
Saffouri, Hassan (arrived half hour late)
Scovill, Marc (Vice-President)
Williams, Ron
Cummings, Mary (Executive Director)

Absent

Abramson, Tuvia
Olsen, Gordon (President)
Schaffhausen, Roger
Wilson, Carole

Election of Officers

President = Gordon Olsen
Treasurer = Barbara Beltrand
Vice President = Marc Scovill
Secretary = Claudia Grabel Beermann

Signing power on checks:

Board resolution = Gordon Olsen and Marc Scovill are authorized to sign checks at Western Bank and U.S. Bank. Mary will continue to have signing power. Linda Ellinger and Toni Jelinek will be automatically removed from the list of authorized signers when the new signers are set up.
Logistics of bank meetings (U.S. Bank and Western Bank) for signing power: Mary will work with Gordon and Marc to ascertain a day & time to go to the bank.

Financial Statements

Review of Draft FYE 6/30/13
Discussion of contributions raised, mortgage campaign, positive change in net assets this year, unrestricted contributions, planned maintenance, mortgage campaign poster.
Salaries are allocated to departments now (based on a time study); will be done on an ongoing basis rather than only at year-end when preparing the annual financial statements and the Form 990
Departmental reports will be provided to the board by email, but not printed unless specifically requested prior to the meeting

June 17, 2013 minutes approved.

Executive Director’s Report

Programming committee discussion
Board retreat in the fall; Mary suggests adding other people. Focus will be on increasing admissions. Other people = non-board members who are on committees. Barbara will send a Doodle poll to ascertain date and time preferences.
Event and admission data (receipts from admission, direct expenses); very similar profile, in terms of attendance and receipts, to prior year

Building Use Policy

Marketing Committee update:

Met with some teachers concerning our project to have teaching at day camps; work out what is viable and come up with a program to present to the University of MN for the summer of 2014 (June through August)
Open Street (Sunday, 8/11/13, 10 – 4 p.m.): Minnehaha will be blocked off and the plan is to have different dance forms in front of Tapestry: waltz, English country, contra, international, Israeli, Morris
Highland Fest: 7/21/13, 2 – 3 p.m. request; Mary found an International teacher; everyone is invited to help out (seed the crowd) and dance

Next meeting (August):

membership program changes will be discussed
Perhaps we should think about membership beyond money or the ability to pay a particular membership fee; a community of people; a broader perspective; for example, membership could be granted based on volunteer hours.
Bring a friend campaigns in exchange for a nominal discount

E-mail etiquette

Please put Tapestry in the subject line
Please do not “reply to all” for logistic type missives (e.g. votes on the minutes)
Please be sure to include Mary on emails

Next meeting: 8.19.13
Future meetings will begin at 7:15

Discounts:

should the student discount be extended to AmeriCorps and Vista and Peace Corp? In lieu of a cash contribution should membership be granted in exchange for volunteer work? Discussion will continue at the next meeting.

Thanks to Roger for coming to the initial ½ hour and creating a quorum for us!

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Posted in Board Meeting Minutes
WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann