Present: Marc Scovill, Claudia Graebel Beermann, Jeanne Novak,Barbara Beltrand, Todd Petersen, Ed Stern, David Dixen, Carole Wilson, David Kirchner, Madhu Bangalore, Mary Cummings, (Executive Director)
Absent: Barb Hassing
1. Minutes: February minutes approved.
2. Financial Report (Mary):
- Mary discussed the balance sheet. Gray highlighted section indicates areas we need to utilize our cash. These are board-designated or restricted funds on building and Minnehaha assessment.
- Mary, Barbara B., and Claudia worked on new investment policy. The board discussed the proposal.
- A motion was made and approved to move $38,000 into a CD or Money Market that matures in 6 months. The money will be available to pay the Minnehaha Ave assessment in December. Mary will execute.
3. Executive Director’s report:
- Mary reported that the HVAC installation will probably happen in mid to late April. It is special order equipment and the date needs to be coordinated with Xcel Energy.
- The MN State Arts Board has declared Tapestry’s recent application for funding ineligible because our FY 13 and 14 financial activity (expenses) is not large enough to meet the minimum requirements. We have to add the amounts and then subtract the MN Arts Board contribution from the previous year. After subtracting the Arts Board contribution, Tapestry’s financial activity is $819 short. We met the previous $160,000 threshold, but the new $166,000 is above our financial activity. Both Mary and Barbara offered to meet with the Arts Board. There is an appeals process. Mary and the board will consider possible avenues of appeal.
- Leslie MacKenzie is creating a new organizational flyer for Tapestry. The board discussed whether the flyer should include renters along with Tapestry programs. Board members expressed general support for either including all renters in the flyer, or excluding renters entirely and listing only Tapestry programs. Mary will direct Leslie accordingly.
- Mary will be gone for three weeks in June, which includes the June board meeting. She will also be off in September.
4. Strategic Plan Meeting Sunday, April 3, 11:30 am
- The board will meet with Elaine Weber Nelson to discuss Tapestry’s goals. We will be adding a goal on good governance and management. Dana Hoeschen will come to take notes. David Dixen has a conflict. Other board members should be able to attend.
- After the strategic planning meeting, the board will be better able to have discussions with the dance community committees. It has been four years since Tapestry instituted dance committees for the contra and international programs that took over the programming that had previously been done by staff. Now would be a good time to formally gain input from these two committees,
5. Policies and Procedures documents.
- Carole presented possible additions to the policies and procedures documents on the selection of board officers. She proposed creating a nominating committee for board officers. The nominating committee would propose a slate of potential board officers at the January board meeting. The board would vote on this slate. New officers terms would start the following July with the next fiscal year.
6. Bylaws: Carole also asked for a review of the bylaws.
- Carole and Barbara B. will review the bylaws and report back to the board.
7. Nominating Committee: David K spoke about the other nominating committee: the committee tasked with finding new board members (not board officers). David asked that current board members who are not on the nominating committee consider talking to people who might be interested in joining the board.
8. Greenfield Memorial Dance: The regularly scheduled contra dance on Saturday April 2 will be known as the Greenfield Memorial Dance. Friends of Jan Greenfield will pay for the dance, which will be free to attendees. $750 will be paid to Tapestry for the dance.
Meeting adjourned 9:35 pm.
Next meeting: April 18, 7:30pm.