Call of the Loon–April 7-9, 2017
Call of the Loon is THE Midwest Contra Dance weekend extravaganza, featuring live bands, guest callers, workshops, Sunday brunch and more! See the Call of the Loon website for additional information.
The Latter Day Lizards are a New England dance band that ignites flames under dancing feet. With a wide ranging repertoire that includes Irish and Scottish jigs, Balkan beats, and blues and swing tunes, the Latter Day Lizards bring playfulness, drama and infectious rhythm to every performance. Kate Barnes on piano, guitar and flute; Bill Tomczak on clarinet, sax and drums, David Langford on guitar and fiddle, and Stuart Kenney on bass and banjo.
Northern Aire is a terrific Twin Cities band and a local favorite in the contra community. Bob Walser (guitar and piano), Tim Reese (fiddle) and Pat O’Loughlin (banjo and concertina) join forces for a fresh take on music for square and contra dances, taking ancient and modern tunes into new territory.
Carol Ormand is well known to dancers in the upper Midwest. Minnesotans still consider her “ours,” even though she now lives in Wisconsin. Her calm, unflappable style, clear teaching and wicked sense of humor assure that she is much in demand as a Contra caller all over the country. And she writes fabulous dances!
With more than 40 years of calling experience, New England caller David Millstone has an American repertoire ranging from transition New England chestnuts to high-energy recent compositions in square, Contras and odd formations. He is know for his clear and supportive teaching style, breadth of repertoire, sense of humor and ability to pick dances that offer the right level of challenge for all audiences.
- Registration( 6:45 pm)
- Welcome Dance (7:30–11:30 pm)
- Campfire Gathering at Tapestry (11:30 pm)
- Coffee and Registration (9 am)
- Hambo Workshop (9:30–10:45 am)
- “Campfire Talk” with David Millstone (9:30–10:50 am)
- Contra Workshop/Dance (11 am–12:30 pm)
- Lunch break (12:30–1:45 pm)
- Contra Workshop/Dance (1:45–3:15 pm)
- Contra Workshop/Dance (3:30–5 pm)
- Dinner Break (5–8 pm)
- North Star Ball w (8–11 pm)
- Late Night Swing Dance Party (11:15 pm–12:30 am)
- Brunch (10–11 am)
- Couple’s Dance (10:30–11:30 am)
- Singing Around the Campfire (11–11:30 am)
- Farewell Dance (11:45 am–2:30 pm)
If you are staying overnight on Sunday, please join us at Tapestry for English country dance (6-9 pm) with David and the Lizards. Cost is $12.
- Early bird registration: $90 postmarked or purchased online by December 31, 2016
- Regular rate: $100 from January 1 through March 1
- Late Registration: $110 after March 1
Student discounts and limited half-price work scholarships are available. Admissions for individual sessions may be available if space allows; watch the Call of the Loon website for updates.
Because this event attracts many visitors from around the country, lodging is a consideration. Watch the Call of the Loon website for details.
Connect with Call of the Loon
- Questions? Contact the registrar of the Call of the Loon Committee.
- Check out the Call of the Loon website.
- To keep up with all the latest news, to connect with your fellow Loonies, and for more photos from last year’s event, Like Call of the Loon on Facebook!