Tapestry Folkdance Center is pleased to provide studio space for ethnic and folk dance groups, for dancers and dance groups, for movement and body awareness groups (like yoga, Tai Chi) or groups with an educational focus. On occasion, the Center also rents to non-dance groups. As a non-profit, Tapestry cannot rent to entities incorporated as for-profit businesses.
Small Studio: Approx. 1,400 square feet. (119 max occ.) Includes mirror, sound system and acoustic piano.
Large Studio: Approx. 4,000 square feet. (266 max occ.) Sprung wood floor, sound system, DJ booth, space for a band, benches and rocking chairs for resting.
Reserving a Studio
All rentals require a signed contract. If your organization fits our rental criteria and space is available, staff will place a temporary hold on the calendar and email a contract to you. When the signed contract is returned to the office, a staff member will sign it, send a copy to the renter, and set a date for a facilities orientation. Facilities orientation is mandatory. Tapestry Folkdance Center is a secured building. Renter will receive security instructions during their initial orientation session.
For short-term rentals, Tapestry has a $150/rental minimum, although this may be waived if you have rented at the Center before, if your group focuses on folk dance, if you are working with a Tapestry teacher, or in a few other situations. (Call to inquire.) Your reservation is not secured until payment has been received, a minimum of one week before the rental date. It is recommended that you submit a check along with your signed contract. Payment is due BEFORE the date of rental.
For long-term renters, you will be billed at the end of the month for the days specified in the contract for use that month. If a damage deposit is charged, it is due immediately.
Your contract reserves only the space designated in the contract and only for the time specified in the contract. Each dance or rental is allotted 15 minutes before and after the schedule time to allow participants to come and go. If you require more time than that to set up the space or greet your guests, you must reserve extra time before and after your dance/rehearsal. You may be charged for additional time used.
See our Building Use Policies.
- Tapestry Folkdance Center reserves the right to decline rentals based on the current or future needs of Tapestry’s own dance programs and organizational needs.
- Tapestry Folkdance Center reserves the right to change its rental rates with 60 days notice to renters.
- Tapestry Folkdance Center reserves the right to change its rental policies. Changes that apply to existing contracts will not go into effect for 60 days; changes will apply to all new rentals going forward.
- Additional requirements may apply; see rental agreement.
Cancelling a Reservation
SHORT TERM RENTER
- Cancellations more than 1 month in advance of the reserved date will receive a full refund.
- If cancellation is given with less than 30 days notice, renter will receive damage deposit back but not the amount owed for the 30 days after notice is given.
- Severe Weather Cancellation: A full refund will be given for rental dates cancelled due to severe weather (which is, news media warnings to stay indoors and avoid unnecessary travel).
LONG TERM RENTER
- We understand that occasional cancellations of single events may be necessary. If cancellations extend to multiple days or occur more often than once or twice a year, rental contract may be in danger. Cancellations should be rescheduled, or will be billed.
Tapestry Folkdance Center may cancel a rental for reasons of a) building repairs, b) scheduling conflicts, or c) evidence that renter is acting or may act in a dangerous, illegal, negligent or hazardous manner. If Tapestry must cancel due to a scheduling conflict, the renter will be notified as soon as the conflict is discovered and will be offered another time slot. If no other time is available, renter will receive a full refund (or will not be billed).
Rental partners with dance/movement activities can choose to be listed on the Tapestry website if information is provided to Tapestry staff in a timely manner. Long-term partners can be listed in the Tapestry Rental Partners portion of Tapestry’s website, with a longer description of their group, as well as on the calendar (both website and hard copy, if the program is open to the public).
Email and phone calls received about your group and programs will be forwarded to you by staff. When signing a contract with Tapestry, please indicate if your program is open to the general public, and if there are fees, tuition or donations.
Transit and Parking for Tapestry Renters
Tapestry is readily accessible via bus (routes 7E and 23) and Blue Line light rail. (See Metro Transit to plan your ride.) Tapestry is also bike-friendly and you will find bike racks in front of the building for your use. Bikes are NOT allowed in the building.
Tapestry Folkdance Center has free parking in the lot to the south of our building (be sure NOT to park in the few slots clearly marked No Parking), as well as in the fenced lot across the street next to Midwest Window. On-street parking is usually available as well.
Tapestry’s entrance, hallways, studios and restrooms are handicap accessible, with no stairs or ramps. A unisex restroom is equipped with a wide doorway and grab-bars to accommodate wheelchairs. There are two handicapped parking spots in our adjacent parking lot. Tapestry maintains a list of contacts for interpretive services for the hearing impaired.