Present: David D, David K, Jeane, Midge, Todd, Akilah, Marc, Ed, Carole, Akilah
- Minutes. Minutes of the Nov. 2 special meeting were approved.
- City Assessment. Mary explained that Tapestry has been assessed approximately $50,000 for street repairs instead of the expected $38,000 (actuals: $37,872.66 and the 38th street is $11,732.36). Unfortunately, Tapestry is close enough to 38th Street that it is considered to benefit from the 38th Street repairs as well as from the Minnehaha Avenue repairs. When Mary originally contacted the city to ask about the amount of the repairs, she was told $38,000, and Tapestry fundraised for this amount.
Mary recommended that the Board pay for the full amount up front. Tapestry does have enough funds on hand to pay the full amount, in part because the HVAC upgrade cost less than the full amount budgeted.
The Board unanimously authorized Mary to pay the full amount of the assessment, approximately $50,000. However, the Board also requested that before making payment Mary make further inquiries about the inaccurate information originally given to Tapestry by the City Assessor’s office, in the hopes that the final amount may be reconsidered or reduced.
- Financial statements. The Board reviewed the most recent financial statements.
- Executive Director Search Committee.The Board decided to empower a search committee to review applications and interview candidates for the Executive Director position. The committee will consist of both board members and community members. Board members serving will be David D, David K, and Akilah. The following community members will be invited: George Power (has expressed interest), Claudia Beerman (has expressed interest), a representative from the International Dance community (Carole will recruit — Barbara Rice or Gina Bonsignore will be asked first), and a representative from the Bollywood community (Mary will contact Divya/Jinal, though several key community members may be traveling in December and unable to participate). The aim is to form a committee of six, though the Board expressed comfort with a committee of seven if enough people say yes. Mary will also serve on the committee as an ex officio member.
The first meeting of the search committee will be on Monday, December 12 at 6pm (prior to the December Board meeting). The search committee will set dates for candidate interviews at the convenience of its members. Mary will perform the initial review of applications and eliminate clearly unqualified candidates.
The search committee’s charge is to recommend approximately two candidates for full board consideration. Schedules of the candidates permitting, the Board will meet with the two finalists at the January 16 meeting and make a final decision. The hope is to quickly reach terms with the successful candidate so that there will be time for overlap with Mary before she concludes her work for Tapestry at the end of February.
- Search for new Marketing and Rental Associate. Mary reported that Leslie will be leaving her position for personal reasons. Mary has posted the position and reported that there are some promising applicants and the hiring process is going well.
- Board officer nominating committee. Carole will spearhead the process of assembling a committee to identify board members to serve as officers (President, Vice Presidetn, Secretary, Treasurer) in 2017-2018.
- Search process for new board members. Though there is no great urgency, the Board is currently a bit smaller than our preferred size of about 12 members. Board members brainstormed a number of individuals who might be recruited to serve. Several Board members agreed to have conversations with the individuals discussed to gauge interest.
- Annual meeting. Carole reported that the Annual Meeting was held and attenders seemed to be pleased with the information presented. The turnout was not especially large, but those who came appeared to be satisfied with Tapestry’s work and activities. It was suggested that next year’s meeting be timed to coincide with a different regular Tapestry dance; the last couple of annual meetings have been held immediately before a contra dance.
- Marc reviewed the expectations of Board service, and noted that Tapestry strongly encourages new Board members to participate in the Board Boot Camp offered by MAP For Nonprofits.
- Board members are reminded that the December meeting has been moved to December 12 due to several members’ travel plans.